While the aesthetics on their own might be appealing enough for some, what ultimately makes the La Marzocco Strada so impressive is the technology it contains. It provides the most thermal stability one can find in any commercial machine, even at high throughput, and it gives the barista complete control over extraction parameters.
The unrivalled thermal stability is achieved through a few separate technologies. The Strada has a water pre-heating system, which accelerates recovery times. Rather than just dual boilers, it also includes a separate coffee boiler for each group head, each controlled by PID. Finally, the iconic saturated group heads maintain the temperature all the way to the portafilter. This means the most consistent extraction possible.
From a control perspective, both the EE and AV models are as impressive as their La Marzocco counterparts in other models, but it is the EP that takes things to a whole other level. Baristas are able to control the pressure and flow of water second by second, and then perfectly replicate that pressure profile on a subsequent brew. Combined with temperature stability, that opens up the potential for that absolutely perfect extraction for every coffee.
On top of all this high end technology, La Marzocco has not forgotten the finer details. The exposed group heads make the work space easier for the barista. The drip tray has extra clearance for those tall takeaway cups. The steam wands are always cool to the touch, and can be used at different levels of pressure by means of a lever handle.
Last, but perhaps not least, the Strada can be custom-ordered with different side panels and chassis colours to give any café a personal touch. This makes the machine as much of a show piece as an engine room for your café.
La Marzocco Strada EE vs. AV vs. EP
The La Marzocco Strada comes in three types. The EE (semi-automatic) is entirely barista controlled in terms of stopping and starting the shot. This is the simplest and most affordable. The AV (automatic volumetric) offers software-driven, highly accurate volumetric brewing with programmable doses. The EP (electronic paddle) versions allow you to introduce water at the pace and pressure you set and control by hand. This last version offers the most control as well as full pressure profiling functionality. These pressure profiles can then be reused electronically.
La Marzocco Strada Espresso Machine features
- Comes in semi-automatic (EE), automatic volumetric (AV), and electronic paddle (EP) versions
- Exposed saturated group heads
- Independent insulated boilers per group head and separate steaming boiler
- Proportional steam valve with lever-style activation
- High performance cool touch steam wand(s)
- Multiple PID for brewing & steaming
- Water pre-heating system reducing recovery & start-up time
- Intuitive programming and clear digital display
- Hot water economiser (set water spout temperature and pressure)
- 2.5cm extra cup clearance for tall cups
- Comes with stainless steel portafilters and precision baskets
- EP-specific features (EP machines only)
- Repeatable pressure profiling
- Transferrable pressure profiles
- Individual displays with live pressure and shot timers
- Customisation available (longer lead times)